HISTORY OF FACILITY AND PHYSICIANS
Founded in 1982 by Dr. Ravinder Bachireddy and Dr. J.S. Chandra, The Heart Institute of East Texas has been instrumental in bringing state-of-the-art heart care to East Texas. The two physicians, who introduced cardiac care to East Texas, began their practice in a small office on Gaslight Boulevard in Lufkin. When Dr. Bachireddy opened the facility, nearly 100 percent of patients with heart problems went to Houston for care. Today, with the development of this topflight cardiac program in Lufkin, that number has dropped.
In 2001, the team of eight physicians moved from their small office into a state-of-the-art, two-story building they had constructed specifically to grow the heart care program for all of East Texas. Within The Heart Institute is a state of the art cardiac catheterization lab and facilities for stress testing, holter monitoring, echocardiography, pacemaker, defibrillator, lipid, heart failure; vein and leg pain clinic, and vascular clinics, with separate facilities for stress test, and a Rhythm clinic.
Dr. Bachireddy and Dr. Chandra played major roles assisting both Lufkin hospitals in establishing top-rated heart-care programs – Memorial Health System of East Texas and Woodland Heights Medical Center.
The development of these programs has been very successful and has done much to make Lufkin the hub of cardiology in Deep East Texas. Also, we feel Memorial’s heart program has further solidified Lufkin’s position as the medical hub for East Texas.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT
To provide a full continuum of high quality, cost effective, proactive, diagnostic and therapeutic heart & vascular services. The Heart Institute of East Texas will be identified as the premier cardiology group committed to serving and enhancing the well-being of residents of the East Texas region.
The physicians and employees will be committed to functioning as an integrated team and to providing responsive and compassionate care through local and outreach coverage in order to improve access to care and provide a high level of satisfaction among patients, referral sources, and third party payers. Quality of care and services will be identified and monitored on a continuous basis and constantly improved.
This mission statement continues to drive the efforts of HIET providers and staff today; it guides decision-making and actions on both administrative and clinical levels. The emphasis on providing high quality, cost effective care has not diminished in over 30 years since the practice was founded.
In addition to our Lufkin Offices, we maintain offices in Livingston, Woodville, Jasper, Center, San Augustine, Hemphill, Trinity, and Crockett. From the beginning, it was their goal to bring the level of technology and care of metropolitan areas here so patients would not have to travel long distances for care.
In the ensuing years, they brought break-through technologies to Lufkin. They were the first to bring the new heart procedures to Lufkin. Over the past years they were responsible for:
The Heart Institute of East Texas – 35 years of excellence
- 1982 Dr. Bachireddy opens his first practice in Lufkin
- 1982 The first two-dimensional echocardiogram
- 1984 Dr. Chandra joined the Heart Institute of East Texas
- 1986 The first transesophageal echocardiogram
- 1987 The first cardiac catheterizations
- 1988 The first balloon angioplasty
- 1988 Dr. Bachireddy and Dr. Chandra Instrumental in starting the heart surgery program at Woodland Heights
- 1989 The first peripheral Angioplasty
- 1992 The first directional coronary atherectomy.
- 1993 The first coronary stent
- 1994 Dr. Kovvali and Dr. Hudson Joined the Practice
- 1997 Dr. Musa Khan joined the Heart Institute of East Texas
- 1999 The first procedure using rotablator technology to clean plaque from arterial walls.
- 1999 Dr. Mani joined the Heart Institute of East Texas
- 1999 Opening of the Heart and Vascular Center in the Heart Institute’s facility.
- 2001 The first installation of a cardioverter defibrillator designed to send shock to a patient’s heart if It stops beating.
- 2001 Opening of the Heart Institute’s state-of-the-art facility at 310 Gaslight, which provides cardiovascular exams, stress testing, Holter monitoring, two-dimensional echocardiography, a pacemaker clinic, a defibrillator clinic, a lipid clinic, a vascular clinic (to check for blockages in the neck and extremities), and diagnostic cardiac catheterization.
- 2003 TEE cardioversions done in Livingston
- 2007 The first implantation of the Kronos LV-T implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
- 2008 AAHC National Accreditation for Outpatient Cardiac Cath Lab
- 2008 Dr. Bachireddy accepts Healthcare Professional of the Year Award from Angelina Chamber
- 2010 Dr. Bachireddy selected KTRE Favorite Cardiologist
- 2011 Over Decade of State of the Art Facility to provide complete Cardiac Care under one roof.
- 2012 Dr. Rohit Kedia joins the Heart Institute of East Texas
- 2012 First Leadless Pacemaker by Dr. Kedia
- 2012 Abdominal aortic aneurysm repair evar procedure done by a cardiologist with a surgent
- 2013 Built state of the art outpatient Cath Lab
- 2014 Open Cardiac Rehab
- 2014 Dr. I. Khan joined the Heart Institute of East Texas
- 2014 STEMI R +L heart Cath from arm performed
- 2014 First to establish primary stenting (STEMI) in a radial access in 2014.
- 2014 First to establish CO2 Angiography for peripheral vascular intervention
- 2014 Radial PCI/Radial STEMI Program Coronary Stenting Wrist Approach
- 2015 Acquired Nuclear Cardiology in Livingston. Stress test now performed in Livingston
- 2015 C02 Gas Angiography
- 2016 Vein & Leg Pain Center
- 2016 Tina Ford from the Heart Institute of East Texas was awarded Nurse of the Year from Angelina Chamber of Commerce
- 2016 Heart Failure Clinic
- 2016 Dr. Garikipati, Dr. Manda, and Dr. Solhpour joined the Heart Institute of East Texas
- 2016 Only American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR) between Houston and Tyler
- 2017 Accreditation for Cardiac Rehab
- 2017 Laser atherectomy for coronary and peripheral arterial disease
- 2017 Dr. Velagapudi joined the Heart Institute of East Texas
- 2017 The Heart Institute of East Texas opened in Crockett, Texas
- 2017 11th year winning “Super Doc”
- 2018 Watchman – Left Atrial Appendage Occlusion Device
- 2018 VenaSeal “Super Glue” – Minimally Invasive Treatment of Varicose Veins
- 2018 Sclerotherapy -Medical Procedure Used to Eliminate Varicose Veins and Spider Veins
- 2018 His Bundle Pacing – Permanent Pacemaker
For appointments and inquiries, please call your closest HIET office. We have nine convenient locations all across East Texas. Locate the closest clinic to you by clicking here. This is for non medical emergencies and medical necessities only. If you feel your condition could be life threatening, please go to the closest Emergency Room or call 911 immediately.